Salt and chilli chicken is one of my favourite dishes. I love the crispy fried chicken a long with the crunch vegetables and the spicy kick the chilli salt gives to the dish. This salt and chilli chicken recipe was given to me by a good friend who runs a successful Chinese takeaway here in Dublin, Ireland. It is by far one of the most popular dishes in his shop and I can see why. Every time I visit, they are making batches and batches of this stuff! It flies out.
- Chicken breast cut into strips – you can use chicken wings or prawns either, whatever you prefer
- Chilli salt – you can get this in any asian supermarket, you can often get them in single sachets like the ones in the pictures below
- Carrot batons (optional) – I used two carrots
- 1 x Green or red pepper cut into strips
- 1 x Onion cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons of Chinese 5 spice
- Diced Garlic
- Corn Flour
- Marinade the chicken with salt, pepper and Chinese 5 spice and set aside in the fridge (overnight is best for extra flavour)
- Heat up a wok with oil (or use a deep fat fry like I did)
- With the chicken, cover each strip in corn flour and fry in batches until their golden brown.
- Depending on the size of the chicken strips, it should take between 6-8 minutes per batch.
- Make sure the chicken is cooked by taking a piece and cutting it in half. If there is any pink in the middle, it needs a bit longer!
- Take out and drain the oil
- Put the carrots, pepper and onions into the deep fat fryer for 1 minute. (The vegetables should not be overcooked, slightly al-dente is perfect)
- Meanwhile, heat up a wok with some oil and add the chillies and garlic
- Add the chicken, carrots, pepper and onions
- Stir fry for 2 minutes, mixing all the ingredients together
- Add the chilli salt (be careful here and don’t add too much!)
- Stir fry for a further 3 minutes and serve with rice
Note that this is a dry dish, so there isn’t much sauce, if you’d like a bit of sauce, I would recommend some curry sauce on the side to accompany this dish along with a nice helping of chips, boiled rice or fried rice.
This is a very popular dish on my blog and heres a version with prawns which I hope you will try!
Marinade the chicken with salt, pepper and five spice
Main Ingredients – Chilli, Chicken, chilli salt pepper, vegetables and cornflour
Cover chicken in corn flour and fry in batches until cooked through
Fry the onions, pepper and carrots until they’re slightly al dente
Heat the wok, add oil, garlic and chillies
Add the chicken and toss
Add the vegetables and stir on a high heat
Add the chilli salt pepper mix and toss until coated
Serve with rice or chips and enjoy!