This is my Chinese Orange Chicken Recipe. Two years ago, I posted my Chinese Lemon Chicken recipe which went down a hit. This is a similar recipe except I’m using a different batter mix and also substituting the lemon for orange.
This is one of my favourite Chinese takeaway dishes and from reading online, it appears that it is a huge hit with loads of people, especially in the United States where Panda Express do a famous Orange Chicken dish.
My version is really easy to make and is simple and delicious, it only requires 3 simple ingredients: chicken breasts, Robinson’s orange fruit juice and cornstarch or corn flour. A lot of recipes I’ve seen require you to marinade the chicken or to prepare the orange sauce from scratch, but I find that if I want a simple and quick dish, the below recipe satisfies my needs. My friends who run Chinese restaurants also use the same recipe as below and it flies out the door which is a good testament to their food and cooking.
This dish accompanied with fried rice goes really well too so why not check out my fried rice recipe while you’re here.
If you’ve tried this Chinese orange chicken recipe or have any hints or tips, please leave a comment at the bottom of the page. Don’t forget to like and share on Facebook too.
- Medium Free Range Chicken Breasts – I serve one chicken breast per person. Try to use free range chicken breasts if you can
For the Sauce
- 500ml of Robinson’s Orange Juice (Feel free to experiment with lemon juice either)
- 2 Tablespoons of Corn Flour
- Salt and Pepper for Seasoning
For the Batter
- Corn starch – you will need enough to cover the chicken breasts so I’d recommend at least 200 to 300 grams
- You could try my beer batter recipe either if you wish.
- Set your deep fat fryer to 180 degrees
- Pat down and dry the chicken breasts with kitchen paper
- Butterfly the chicken breasts, butterflying the chicken breasts helps it cook quicker. If you’re not comfortable with butterflying the breasts, then just cut them in half. Here is how to butterfly the breasts:
- Lay the breast flat on a chopping board
- With a knife, make an incision along the side of the breast and cut until you nearly reach the other side but don’t cut through it
- Open up the meet so as to resemble a butterfly
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper
- Cover the chicken with corn flour so that all the breast is covered
- Carefully put the chicken into the deep fat fryer and fry until golden brown. This should take between 3 to 5 minutes depending on how thick your chicken is
- Take out of the fryer and drain off any excess oil
- Put the orange juice into a pan and bring to the boil
- Add a little water to the corn starch and mix until all lumps are removed
- Add the corn flour mixture to the orange juice slowly. This will help thicken the sauce
- If it is still very runny, add more corn flour
- Place the chicken onto a plate and add the orange sauce on top
- Enjoy your Chinese orange chicken!
Chinese orange chicken ingredients
Butterfly the chicken breasts
Cover the chicken with the cornflour
Bring 500ml of orange juice to the boil
Boil the orange sauce in a saucepan and add cornflour to thicken
Drain the excess oil off the chicken
Pour the orange sauce over the chicken
There you go, my Chinese orange chicken recipe