This BBQ Pineapple recipe goes great after a delicious BBQ. I never really thought about using the BBQ to cook anything other than meat but recently, I’ve started using it to cook pizza and now have started to do love BBQ pineapple soaked in Malibu.
With the summer here, I’ve decided to cook other things on the barbecue other than the regular chicken, steak, fish and sweetcorn. A friend introduced me to pineapple and rum on the BBQ so I gave it a go and haven’t looked back since.
I always found pineapple to be a great digestion aid and this light desert at the end of a BBQ really helps to remove that full feeling you can experience after a big barbecue. The beauty of this dish is that it is really simple to make and requires very little work in either the prep or the cooking.
This also goes well with a sorbet or ice cream too but I normally just grill the rings and leave them on the table for all the guests to enjoy.
Here is my BBQ Pineapple recipe. To prepare your pineapple, I’d recommend using a pineapple slicer like this one which will take the hassle out of chopping up a pineapple.
- Fresh Pineapple – Cut into rings
- Sugar (optional)
I haven’t added any measurements as you will be able to judge for yourself how much you need.
- In a deep dish, lay out the pineapple and sprinkle with some sugar
- Add your rum to the dish so that the pineapple is sitting in the rum
- Set aside for a minimum of 15 minutes
- You can leave it in the fridge overnight if you wish
- Set your BBQ on a medium high heat
- If you have a cover, get the temperature of the barbecue to around 150 degrees
- Add your pineapple slices to the grill and close the lid for 10 minutes on a medium heat
- You want the outside of the pineapple to caramelize slightly and turn brown
- Be careful when you’re cooking the pineapple on the grates as they do have a tendancy to fall through them! I would recommend using a thongs to turn them.
- After 10 minutes check the underside and see if it has caramelized. Leave longer if it needs it
- Sprinkle some of the rum left in the dish over the pineapple then flip over and leave for 10 minutes