So I’m just back from Florence and had a blast. I’ll probably do a write up somewhere as I had some awesome food. Everything from bistecca alla fiorentina, gelato, pizza and of course pasta. I would have thought that after 7 days in 30 degree heat and scoffing my face with Italian food and their lovely chianti wine that I would be sick of pasta at this stage but I guess I haven’t got it all out of my system just yet.
This evening, I decided to make a cream cheese (or Philadelphia) sauce with salmon and fettuccine pasta dish.
I’m amazed at the quality of some of the fresh pasta you can get in the supermarkets these days, for less than €2, I was able to get a big enough bag of fettuccine that could feed 4 to 6 people. It tastes really good and sometimes makes me wonder why I make my own!
Like a lot of my dishes, this one is really easy to prepare. I got home from work at 6PM, started cooking at 615 and we were eating by 645! What I like about this dish is that there isn’t really much to prepare, skinning the salmon and chopping the garlic are probably the two hardest tasks here. Oh and the washing up!
Anyways, here it is, my cream cheese salmon pasta recipe.
- Salmon Darnes, 1 per person should be about the right portion
- Fettuccine Pasta – make your own or buy the fresh stuff. I rarely buy the dried pasta any more these days
- 200g of Cream Cheese or Philadelphia cheese
- Grated Parmesan
- A Knob of Butter
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- Remove the skin from the salmon
- In a small saucepan, add the butter, milk and creamcheese and stir at a low heat until you get a creamy texture
- Here’s a tip, if you feel the sauce is too thick, add a little bit of water or milk
- Turn the heat up to medium and stir until it starts to boil
- Add the juice of the lemon, some salt and pepper to taste
- Leave to simmer on a low heat
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the instructions to your liking
- Season the salmon in some oil, salt and pepper
- Fry the salmon in a pan for 3 – 4 minutes each side
- When the pasta is cooked, drain off the excess water and add to a pan
- Mix 2/3’s the sauce into the pasta and stir well
- Place the pasta onto a dish and place the salmon on top
- Add a little extra sauce to the top and enjoy