Are you having a dinner party or just having a few friends over and want to impress them with a fancy and delicious treat? This is a fool proof snack/finger food that I’ve used a few times for guests. Cheese straws are easy, quick and tasty. You can combine it with a bunch of sauces or dips too like tomato, sour cream, garlic mayo or cheese or just eat them on their own.
I made it once when I had a little bit of puff pastry that was left over from another dish I was doing. So instead of throwing it out, I just decided to throw some parmesan cheese on it. Paprika gives it a nice colour too.
The ready made puff pastry you can get from the supermarkets like Aldi is really handy for this if you are feeling lazy, otherwise, you can make it yourself. I typically just buy the ready made stuff, but after purchasing a fancy Kenwood Chef stand mixer, I’ve started to dabble with making my own.
Be careful though, they can be quite addictive!
Here is my cheese straw recipe – Enjoy!
- Puff Pastry
- Paprika or smoked paprika
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Leave the puff pastry to come up to room temperature on the greaseproof paper
- Cut puff pastry into strips
- Sprinkle a good helping of parmesan and paprika
- Put it into the oven for 8 minutes or until it turns golden
- Serve with dips or own their own