I’m a big fan of chicken fajitas. Typically I would buy an old el paso kit and use that to season my chicken and vegetables but recently, I discovered how easy it is to make my own seasoning paste. Below, you will find my easy chicken fajita recipe which is made from scratch. This recipe goes really well with homemade guacamole and salsa. The tortillas are also very easy to make and taste really nice and fresh when served warm.
Fajita Paste Ingredients
- 1 x shallot (or small onion)
- 3 x cloves of garlic
- 1 x tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 x tablespoon tomato puree
- 3 x tablespoon rapeseed (or other flavourless) oil
- 2 x teaspoon paprika
- 2 x teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 x teaspoon cumin
- 2 x teaspoon coriander
- 1 x teaspoon mustard
- 1 x teaspoon black pepper
- 1 x teaspoon salt
- 1 x teaspoon sugar
- 1 x tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 x tablespoon soy sauce
- Heat the oil gently in a pot over a medium heat.
- Grate the garlic, finely dice the shallot and add them to the pot.
- Add in all the spices, herbs and the sugar while the shallot is softened.
- Stir until you have a dark paste.
- Add in the white wine vinegar, soy and tomatoes, then bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down to its lowest setting and let it simmer down to a paste, keep an eye on it and stir it occasionally to prevent it burning at the bottom. This should take about 25 min.
- When its done let it cool and pop it into a jar. You can cook with it the same day but its better a few days later. It should keep for a week in the fridge.
Tortillas from Scratch
- 250g x plain flour
- 175ml x water
- 3 x tablespoons olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Stir in water and oil.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead into a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 and roll each one out to the size of a side plate.
- Cook for 1min each side on a non stick pan. Heat Setting 5ß
- Put them aside until needed.
With this easy chicken fajita recipe, you can substitute the chicken for beef. Both are really delicious.
- Chicken Breasts
- Chilli (optional)
- Add garlic to pan
- Add chicken breasts and lightly brown
- Add paste to chicken
- When meat nearly cooked, add veg and stir
- Serve with cheese, jalapeños, guacamole and salsa