So I woke up this morning for a hankering for a big Irish Breakfast but when I checked the fridge, I realized quickly that I’d either have to go to the shop for stuff or cook something else. I decided on the latter and what better way to start your day than a nice big 4 egg omelette with ham and cheese. I call this, my man omelette.
This is a simple easy omelette recipe that you really can’t go wrong with. Well, I guess it could go wrong, I’ve made scrambled eggs before instead of an omelette as I didn’t put enough oil in the pan when I was cooking it. I’ve also burned the bottom of one omelette to a crisp which wasn’t really appetizing either. Anyway, I’ve learnt that a low heat will help not over cook it and throwing in a good helping of oil in the pan will make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
Use your fridge as inspiration for different toppings you can throw on your omelette. I went through a phase of making omelettes and wrote down the different ingredients I’ve thrown in. Heres a short list:
- Cheese (goats cheese, cheddar, mozzarella, feta)
The recipe below is for my man omelette which is just a simple ham and cheese omelette. But you can throw in whatever ingredients you want!
Easy Ham and Cheese Omelette Recipes
- 4 x Eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 50ml of Milk (optional)
- Beat eggs (add a bit of milk for a bit more bulk if you’d like, I can’t find any difference in taste with or without milk)
- Heat some oil in a non stick pan at medium heat
- Throw in the ham and fry for 3 minutes, turn occasionally
- Add eggs, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until the base starts browning
- Add some cheese on top and let it melt in
- If you have excess egg that’s not cooking on top, make a slight incision into the omelette to let the excess drain to the bottom
- Flip the omelette over, use a spatula to toss it over or be adventurous and flip it like a pancake!
- Add more cheese and keep checking the bottom until it’s cooked