In this post, I’m going to explain how to make sausage rolls. This is a really simple recipe to follow and the sausage rolls go down very well for finger food if you’re having a party or for a naughty snack.
I grew up eating sausage rolls for lunch from my local deli counter, once I made my own though, I haven’t looked back. The store bought ones just don’t taste as good or satisfying as a fresh batch straight out of the oven.
All you need are four ingredients – sausage meat, puff pastry, onions and egg. There’s also plenty of ways to chop and change the recipes but the below guide will give you the instructions on how to prepare your filling, roll the pastry and bake. Do experiment with different types of sausage meat like sage and onion or different herbs and spices like parsley, thyme or spice it up with some chillies in the mixture.
I’m always looking to hear of new sausage meat mixtures so feel free to leave a comment below with your own mixtures.
The below ingredients and measures will make up to 25 – 35 bite size sausage rolls. So here is my recipe for how to make sausage rolls.
- 500 grams x sausages or sausage meat
- 1 x Small Onion
- 1 x Egg
- 2 x Sheets of Puff Pastry
- Herbs and Spices (in the below, I’ve used fresh thyme, dijon mustard and lemon zest)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- If you have bought sausages for this recipe, you’ll have to remove the meat from the skin. If you are looking for good sausage meat, your local butcher should be able to help
- Finely dice the onion and beat the egg
- Combine the sausage meat, onions, egg and your chose herbs and spices and mix thoroughly, don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty
- Roll out the puff pastry sheets and make sure that they are at least 10 to 12 centimetres in width. The length of the sheet won’t matter as you will be cutting them into bite size chunks anyway
- Lightly brush the puff pastry with some egg wash and start to spread your sausage meat mix 2/3’s of the way down the sheet
- Fold the sheet over and pinch where the puff pastry comes together with the sausage meat inside
- Cut smaller bite size portions out of the puff pastry. Better to do them bite size so they cook all the way through. If you want them longer, you’ll need to to put some slits into the puff pastry so that the meat cooks properly
- Put your sausage rolls on greaseproof paper and cook for 25 – 30 minutes at 180 degrees or until golden brown
The below pictures were taken when I was making double the batch mentioned above (we were having quite a big get together!)