This tartar sauce recipe is quick and easy and consists of only four basic ingredients. Tartar sauce goes great with a tonne of different fish dishes, my favourite has to be the classic fish and chips. I do my own homemade fish and chips with a nice beer batter, a great way to finish off the dish is with a nice helping of home made tartar sauce.
This tartar sauce recipe can be put together in less than 5 minutes, all you need to do is combine the ingredients and throw it all into a bowl and stir.
If you want to go the extra step with this recipe, you could also make your own mayonnaise with egg yolks, mustard, oil and vinegar but using ready made mayonnaise is just as good and your guests won’t be able to tell the difference.
The measurements below make enough tartar sauce for two people. When you’re trying it yourself, I’d suggest just estimating yourself to see how much you need of everything. Don’t worry, you can’t over or under do it. The tartar sauce can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days after making it. Just make sure to cover it with cling film or leave in a seal tub.
- 4 x Tablespoons of Mayonnaise – Full fat or low fat, I’ve made it with both and can’t tell the difference
- 1 x Teaspoon of onion diced very finely
- 1 x Teaspoon of gurken or pickles diced very finely
- 2 to 3 x Tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir well
- Make sure to stir the lemon juice into the mayonnaise
- Put in the fridge to chill until ready to use